When it comes to starting or continuing a great career in human resources, the typical requirements considered are undergraduate or graduate degrees in HR or related disciplines. Along with this, relevant work experience or internships bring useful additional value and boost the chances of success.
In recent years, certifications for HR professionals have gained great importance as a means of boosting their skills and know how. These are a proof of the holder being conversant with the latest skills required and capable of taking on more responsibilities and higher roles in HR.
Several institutions offer certifications for HR. It is important to make the right choice, considering parameters such as duration, price, and coverage, as well as the reputation of the institution.
Here are some of the best available HR certifications:
· Talent Management Practitioner (TMP): Offered by the Talent Management Institute, TMP serves as strong evidence of the potential of a candidate seeking to become a modern HR practitioner. Targeted at both fresher’s and recent graduates in HR or similar disciplines from premier educational institutions, TMP offers an alternative to the plateauing growth in traditional HR by helping to launch a successful career in Talent Management. It is based on the globally-recognized TMI Universal Knowledge Framework (TMI-UKFTM), and proves knowledge of current Talent Management techniques, theories, and tools.
· Associate Professional in Human Resources (aPHR): Offered by the Human Resource Certification Institute (HRCI), aPHR is positioned as a great choice for professionals just stepping into the world of HR, as well as for those in roles outside HR but including the responsibility of managing people. The aPHR exam is computer-based, and gives 38 percent weightage to HR operations. The credential is valid for a three-year period, and can be maintained through recertification credits or by retaking the exam.
For mid-level professionals
· Senior Talent Management Practitioner (STMP): Offered by TMI, STMP is a top choice for mid-career HR professionals looking for a certification for HR and seeking a move upward into high-demand Talent Management roles. This credential proves the candidates are qualified specialists in HR competent in anchoring talent strategies with an eye on the future. Clearing the STMP exam shows the person possesses advanced skills in handling HR accountabilities, business complexities, and changing workforce dynamics.
· Professional in Human Resources (PHR): Offered by HRCI, the PHR is a good certification for HR professionals looking to establish themselves in the HR field. Employee and labor relations get the highest coverage in the PHR exam, at 39 percent, and clearing the exam is a demonstration of having mastered operational and technical aspects of HR management, including laws and regulations in the US. The exam is targeted at HR professionals with at least 1–4 years of work experience, and the recertification requirements remain the same as the aPHR.
For experienced professionals
· Global Talent Management Leader (GTML): Offered by TMI, GTML is among the most prestigious qualifications facilitating faster career growth and a rise up the HR ladder for HR and Talent Management professionals into global leadership roles. The program includes learning material in Talent Management, covering the art and the science of the discipline, and covers advanced frameworks, techniques, and tools whose deployment leverages Talent Management to drive business effectively.
· SHRM Senior Certified Professional (SHRM-SCP): Offered by the Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM), SHRM-SCP is a good HR certification for HR professionals who work in strategy development, leadership roles in HR, performance metric analysis, and strive to align HR strategies with the goals of the organization. Candidates can have differing levels of academic degrees along with at least 3–7 years of work experience.